Michigan’s Winter Wonderland is back! But it will melt away soon enough, so now is the time to get out there and make the most of it.
Fortunately, there are countless ways to get outside and have fun this winter right here in our own state – from skiing and snowboarding to snowmobiling and ice fishing to sledding, fat tire biking and more. There are even things to do that maybe you’ve never thought of!
In fact, here are just five of the many intriguing ways you could make this Michigan winter the best winter ever:
- Go snowmobiling – The state’s No. 1 place for snowmobiling is Drummond Island, with nearly 80 miles of groomed trails to ride. Right now, you can enjoy the trails and then stay in a rustic lodge room at Drummond Island Resort for just $99 a night. In addition to snowmobile trails, Michigan’s winter wonder-island is a great place for sledding, tubing, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, ice skating and more. You can even try your luck at skeet and clay shooting or go off-roading on more than 500 acres of trails carved right out of the island’s natural limestone. After all your outdoor fun, experience an authentic Up North winter pastime by relaxing in a Scandinavian sauna.
- Plan a romantic waterfront escape – Just because it’s cold, it doesn’t mean all the amazing cottages on Michigan’s thousands of inland lakes are off limits. In fact, that’s all the more reason to warm up by the fire at a place such as Bay Pointe Inn on Gun Lake south of Grand Rapids. The resort features suites with fireplaces and whirlpool tubs and is now offering a Pure Michigan deal with great pricing on a cottage getaway in January. For an added touch, you can have fresh rose petals scattered in your room with a chilled bottle of champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries ready for you on arrival.
- Pick a Michigan downtown to explore – Our state is full of unique city centers, each with its own vibe for you to experience. Ann Arbor, for example, features a walkable downtown with one-of-a-kind shops, a world-renowned arts scene and restaurants serving dishes inspired by cultures from around the globe. This winter you can plan a family adventure or a getaway for just the two of you and take advantage of Ann Arbor lodging specials starting at $89 per night.
- Discover the Sleeping Bear Dunes – America’s Most Beautiful Place is Michigan’s most popular national park. Yet, you can visit in the winter and feel all alone amid the glorious wonders of the 64-mile stretch of lakeshore west of Traverse City. Even if you’ve been there before, you can experience the park anew in the winter through hiking, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and sledding the iconic Dune Climb. When you book a Traverse City Escape Package, you can complement your Sleeping Bear adventure with discounted rates on lodging and coupons for dining, wine and beer tasting, shopping and other outdoor activities.
- Ski! – Okay, maybe you have thought of this one. But how can you make skiing special this winter? Well, you could take advantage of amazing ski packages all over the state
- Get some fresh air in Bellaire on the 5,000 acres of rolling countryside at Shanty Creek Resort, which is offering deals on lodging so you can enjoy downhill skiing and snowboarding, Nordic skiing and Alpine tubing.
- Make Crystal Mountain your winter playground with special ski packages this winter. Kids 17 and under sleep and ski free on certain dates through March.
- Spend a week at a luxurious home away from home and save money with discounted rates through February at Trout Creek Condominiums in Harbor Springs, near Nubs Nob and Boyne Highlands ski areas.
Never skied before? No problem. The Michigan Snowsports Industries Association is teaming with McDonald’s and 23 ski areas across the state on the Discover Michigan Skiing program. Get a beginner lesson, ski or snowboard equipment rental and lift ticket for just $35 so you too can discover the awesomeness of Michigan skiing!
Check out all of Pure Michigan’s featured deals and packages available this month, then get out there and make this winter the best ever!