Michigan is blessed with four distinct seasons, each with its own unique opportunities for outdoor recreation. And in March, we often get to experience two of those seasons in the same month.
On the one hand, it’s still officially winter – at least until March 20. Yet, this month is also when we start to see the first beautiful glimpses of spring.
Whether you like winter or spring, you can get out there and enjoy it somewhere in Michigan this March. And you can save money, too, by jumping on one of these great Pure Michigan deals.
Here are seven ways this month to either enjoy a last blast of Michigan winter or feel the first fruits of spring:
- Snow skiing – Cool nights mean Michigan ski resorts can keep making snow. There’s still time to hit the slopes at Shanty Creek Resort and enjoy overnight lodging rates as low as $108 per night with the Bellaire Means Fresh Air Or you can celebrate March and save at Crystal Mountain Resort with 25% off select Hot Lodging Dates this month, plus free skiing and breakfast for kids age 6 and under. With downhill runs, Nordic trails, tubing hills, ice skating and so much more, there’s an outdoor activity for every member of your party throughout March and even into April.
- Other winter activities – Farther north, on the Keweenaw Peninsula, conditions remain wintry. There’s incredible skiing at Mount Bohemia. And there’s still enough snow for other winter activities, too, from snow biking and snowshoeing to marveling at the splendor of frozen waterfalls and exploring more than 230 miles of snowmobile trails along the shores of Lake Superior and into historic downtowns where you can take a break and grab a bite to eat. With the Keweenaw Winter Package, you can save up to 25% on lodging this month when staying three or more nights.
- Watching nature’s rebirth – Downstate, the weather is often a lot different in March. In fact, thousands of tropical butterflies are blooming at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids where the conservatory temperature is a balmy 85 degrees! Outdoors, it’s nice enough to watch salmon leap through the Grand Rapids Fish Ladder as they swim upstream to spawn. You could check out both signs of spring this month and get 25% off your second night with Spring Hotel Packages at select places to stay in Grand Rapids. Then, you can use the money you save on lodging to relax on a patio and sip new spring releases from Beer City USA’s many craft breweries.
- Exploring Michigan cities – March can be a pleasant time to stroll through a Michigan downtown. There are more than 250 cities across the state, each with its own unique personality and character. For example, Ann Arbor’s walkable streets, one-of-a-kind shops and diverse selection of restaurants offer plenty to discover on a weekend getaway or a mid-week break from the routine. More than 60 Hotel Packages and Promotions are available this month in Ann Arbor with savings of 15% to 50% off regular rates!
- Hedge your bets with indoor/outdoor options – Whatever weather Mother Nature brings this month, you’ll find something to do during your stay at Bay Pointe Inn on Gun Lake, south of Grand Rapids. March is a perfect time to play on the area’s hiking and biking trails or relax on the resort’s 375 feet of lake frontage with pontoon and kayak rentals available. And you can always try your luck at nearby Gun Lake Casino, take a dip in the resort’s indoor pool or retreat to your own room’s whirlpool tub. Bay Pointe is offering 15% off rooms on weeknights in March, with great deals on cottages and villas for larger groups.
- Golf – As the snow melts and green grass reappears, it’s hard not to think about getting back out on the links. March is a good time to make plans for a golf excursion. For example, Mackinac Island’s historic Grand Hotel right now is booking reservations for its incredible Tea for Two Golf Package that includes unlimited golf on The Jewel along with overnight accommodations, breakfast and dinner each day, admission to the Richard & Jane Manoogian Mackinac Art Museum and daily Afternoon Tea in Grand Hotel’s Parlor.
- Go on Spring Break! – Of course, March also brings the start of Spring Break as colleges and then grade schools take a week off from classes. Why not plan something special this year right here in Michigan? Drummond Island Resort offers a variety of action-packed family activities including ORV and bicycle trails, skeet clay shooting and other outdoor games as well as winter recreation, weather permitting. The resort’s Spring Break Family Getaway has packages from $125 per night including a $40 dining voucher. Or, stay on the mainland and use a Traverse City Escape Package to get discounted lodging and deals on a wide range of activities and attractions for all ages. Spring is when you can see new life burst forth at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, sample the latest varietals on a tour of the Traverse Wine Coast or have a blast with axe throwing, boutique bowling and other indoor fun at The Den at Grand Traverse Resort & Spa. Plus, the Traverse City area is home to the Great Lakes Children’s Museum, Michigan Legacy Art Park at Crystal Mountain Resort and the West Bay Beach Resort with an outdoor swimming pool heated to 95 degrees!
Changing seasons are one of the special joys of living in Michigan. Be sure to take time this March to personally bid farewell to winter and welcome spring. Don’t miss out on the transition that’s already underway!