It’s easy to take those sweet treats in your pantry for granted, who thinks about the story behind that big, red bag of Pioneer Sugar. We do! MLive and Michigan Best’s Amy Sherman was curious to know more about the sugar she uses so often, especially when she learned that Pioneer Sugar comes from a Michigan-based company, Michigan Sugar Company. Her curiosity was piqued when she read Michigan Sugar Company’s purpose statement,
“Michigan Sugar Company aims to make life sweeter, both literally and figuratively, for our grower-owners, employees, customers, partners, and communities. Whether it’s a bag of our pure, all-natural sugar helping you bake your favorite family recipe, sponsorship of an important community event, providing a quality and stable work environment, delivering an order on time and as expected, or helping maximize profits for our grower-owners, Michigan Sugar Company has been Making Life Sweeter since 1906.”
Check out the videos below to learn more about Michigan Sugar and how you go from a sugar beet (or 7) to a bag of sugar.
We’ll be posting new videos exploring Michigan Sugar Company each week, be sure to come back to learn more!
Episode 1, in this first episode exploring Michigan Sugar, Amy Sherman talks with Rob Clark about how the company came to be and what makes Michigan Sugar so special.
Michigan Sugar Company fun facts:
- Michigan Sugar Company has been operating since 1906 and has been farmer-grower owned since 2002
- There are 900 farmer-growner owners
- 18% of a sugar beet is sugar
- Michigan Sugar company growers plant and harvest 160,000 acres of sugar beets annually
- That means 1.1 billion pounds of sugar are produced per year
- It takes about 7 sugar beets to make 1 bag of sugar
- Michigan Sugar operates 4 sugar beet slicing factories, including the oldest sugar beet slicing factory in the USA, located in Caro, Michigan.